Top Tip: Soak the wooden skewers in a plate of water for 15 minutes before skewering the ingredients. This ensures that the skewers don't burn when braaied.
Replace the steak with halloumi cheese, and the bacon with red pepper for a delicious vegetarian version.
Older kids can help you skewer the ingredients onto the sticks, while younger kids can layout the ingredients in a pattern ready for an adult to skewer.
- 18 pickling onions, skins on
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 kg rump, cut into 2 ½ cm cubes
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 18 button mushrooms, halved
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- 1 packet Royco® Spare Rib Marinade
- Boil pickling onions for 4-5 minutes, refresh in cold water, peel and cut in half.
- Cut the bacon rashers in half, then roll each piece up.
- Thread rump cubes onto the skewers, alternating with the pickling onions, bacon, mushrooms and red pepper squares.
- Prepare Royco® Spare Rib Marinade according to packet instructions. Marinate kebabs for 20 minutes.
- To Cook:
- Braai kebabs over moderate coals, basting frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Grill kebabs in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning and basting frequently.
- Serve immediately
Sirloin or fillet steak can be used for this recipe, but rump is the tastiest. The kebabs can be made a day ahead (as far as step 4) but only marinate 20 minutes before cooking.