Test your cooking skills with a Lamb Potjie. Soaked in Brown Onion, releasing delicious flavours.
Replace the lamb in this recipe with butternut and reduce the cooking time. It's ready when the veggies are cooked through.
While the potjie is bubbling away, build up an appetite by spending some quality time with the kids playing garden cricket or soccer.
- 12 lamb chops
- 15 ml oil
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 packet Royco® Brown Onion Packet Soup
- 100g green beans, sliced
- Heat a no. 3 potjie pot over moderate coals. Brown the lamb chops in the hot oil, in batches.
- Add 375 ml water, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid, spread the chopped tomatoes over the lamb, then layer the carrots and potatoes on top. Add another 125 ml water if necessary.
- Cover potjie pot with its lid and leave to cook for 1 hour. Add the occasional log to the fire to keep the potjie simmering.
- Mix the contents of the packet of Royco® Brown Onion Packet Soup with 250 ml water, and add to the potjie with the beans. Cook, uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Carefully stir the potjie and serve.
Lamb knuckle or neck can also be used in this recipe. This recipe could also be made in a casserole pot in the oven.