Tantalise your tastebuds with a Mediterranean roast vegetable and bean hot pot with thinly sliced French loaf. The ideal dish for a summer dinner outdoors.
This recipe is suitable for vegetarians.
An interactive meal that involves dunking crusty bread into a protein-packed veggie dish. A great recipe to introduce kids to new textures and flavours.
- 50 ml oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced 1 cm, then quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4-5 courgettes, sliced 1 cm
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced 1 cm
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped
- 30 ml parsley, chopped
- 800 ml water
- 1 Royco® Minestrone Soup
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 pitted black olives
- Day old French loaf, sliced 1 cm
- 15 ml parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Fry the aubergine in hot oil until golden, set aside.
- Fry the onions for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the courgettes, aubergine, red pepper, chickpeas, tomatoes, half the herbs, water and Royco® Minestrone Soup. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter beans, red kidney beans and olives, then transfer mixture to an oven-proof dish.
- Brush one side of the French loaf slices with a little oil. Arranged, oil side up, overlapping on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs and the grated parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until the French loaf slices are light golden.
If the French loaf is too fresh to slice thinly, freeze it for ½ hour.