Classic bangers and mash with nourishing veggies and big flavour from our Brown Onion Gravy and Sparerib Marinade.
Switch the pork bangers in this recipe with your favourite vegetarian sausages and follow the same instructions.
Surprise the kids by serving this recipe as a smiley face on their plate - complete with sausage smiles, and mash potato hair.
- 1 kg potatoes cut into chunks
- 250 ml cabbage shredded
- 50 ml milk
- 60 g butter
- 3 ml salt for seasoning
- 3 ml pepper for seasoning
- 12 baby onions
- 12 pork bangers
- 45 ml oil
- 3-4 carrots thickly sliced
- 250 g mushrooms halved
- 20 ml thyme chopped (OR 5 ml dried thyme)
- 1 packet Royco® Spare Rib Marinade
- 1 packet Royco® Brown Onion Gravy
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, then add the cabbage to the pot and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain potatoes and cabbage then place back in the pot on the heat. Add the butter and milk, mash until smooth. Season and set aside.
- Place baby onions in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Brown bangers in a little oil, then place in an oven proof dish.
- In the same pan, brown the onions and carrots in a little more oil and add to the bangers.
- Then fry the mushrooms and thyme in a little more oil. Add 600 ml water to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the contents of the packets of Royco® Spare Rib Marinade and the Royco® Brown Onion Gravy. Then remove from the heat and whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over the bangers and vegetables.
- Top with the cabbage mash by spooning it over in even dollops to prevent the sauce from oozing.
- Bake in the oven, covered with foil for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes.
This dish can be made as far as step 8, a day in advance.